[IP Symposium 2020] IP Symposium 2020 - Steering Committee Recap / Next Call

Lewis, Samuel slewis at cozen.com
Mon Aug 19 12:15:25 EDT 2019

This is a reminder that our next call will take place on August 21 at 4:30pm.  In an effort to simplify scheduling, I have also circulated a recurring calendar invitation that includes the conference bridge information.  For those who may not properly receive the calendar invite, the conference bridge information for Wednesday's call is as follows:

Dial-in:  855-507-4171
Code:  305-397-0799#

To briefly recap our last meeting, it increasingly looks as if the Symposium will take place on April 16 and 17, 2020.  We are still looking at various locations, but in light of the rotation of Tampa, Orlando and South Florida that has become something of a tradition, we are looking at holding the symposium somewhere in South Florida.

In terms of substance, one of the concepts or themes that we are exploring involves something of a case study approach.  Such an approach may allow us to separate concepts associated with various aspects of the life of an IP case (e.g., preliminary relief, e-discovery, trial, ethics, etc.) so that separate panels may address those concepts.  Judge Scriven suggested that the preliminary relief concept might work with a panel of judges so that practitioners can gain insight into how various courts approach and handle the issues.

Don Conwell and Meredith Mendez are working on development of the outline for the preliminary relief panel.  Darren Spielman and Jim Stepan are working on e-Discovery and ethical issues.

Darren Spielman also volunteered to approach a contact at FAU's Artificial Intelligence (AI) lab for a possible panel dealing with AI and Creativity (which may address questions such as who can own AI-generated IP, etc.).  Other concepts under consideration include Arbitration in IP cases, use of forensic digital evidence, and a recap of recent Supreme Court cases (Jacqueline Tadros volunteered to help find a speaker for the recap).  I spoke with Professor Linford this morning, and he was of the opinion that recent trademark damages cases like Romag Fasteners, Inc. v. Fossil, Inc., for which the Supreme Court granted cert in late June, might also make for an interesting panel.

Thank you for helping to develop the framework for the symposium.

I look forward to speaking with the Steering Committee during Wednesday's call.

Regards,
--Sam

[http://www.cozen.com/cozendocs/cozen-oconnor-logo.gif]

.

Samuel Lewis
Board Certified in Intellectual Property Law
Member | Cozen O'Connor
Southeast Financial Center, 200 South Biscayne Blvd., Suite 3000 | Miami, FL 33131
P: 305-397-0799 F: 305-720-2271
Pronouns: he, him, his
Email<mailto:slewis at cozen.com> | Bio<http://www.cozen.com/people/bios/lewis-samuel> | Map<http://maps.apple.com/?q=200%20South%20Biscayne%20Blvd%0D%0ASuite%203000%2CMiami%20FL> | cozen.com<http://www.cozen.com/>

Notice: This communication, including attachments, may contain information that is confidential and protected by the attorney/client or other privileges. It constitutes non-public information intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If the reader or recipient of this communication is not the intended recipient, an employee or agent of the intended recipient who is responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, or you believe that you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and promptly delete this e-mail, including attachments without reading or saving them in any manner. The unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this e-mail, including attachments, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney/client or other privilege.